Nap or no nap

9.10.2009

Josh and I always thought we had dodged the bullet when it came to sleeping with Ava. That was all before she decided to go on a nap time strike. Every afternoon when nap time rolls around Ava protests saying, "Mom, I sleep last night!" Ava is quite the little negotiator.

Last week I went to check on Ava and found her like this.


It didn't surprise me that she was on the dresser. This girl can get onto anything. Notice the changing pad hanging off the side of the crib. It was strapped on vertically to stop Ava from climbing into the crib. Sidenote, she discovered that she could climb into the crib without getting on the dresser. Another sidenote, Reid will not be sharing a room with Ava until he is a little more sturdy!

Doesn't Ava look so peaceful in this picture? It didn't last long. After snapping the picture I decided it was not safe for my little princess to sleep up so high, so I gently and slowly moved her into her bed. And that's when the dragon was released from inside and she had a full blown tantrum for an ENTIRE hour. To the extent she screamed so hard she threw up. Ugh.


This is how I found her today. This child does have a bed! I guess she just doesn't realize how tired she really is and just conks out while playing.


Today Ava took a 2.5 hour nap. Yay right?! But that meant that instead of falling asleep around 8:30 pm, she fell asleep around 11 pm. So here's the real question. Is it even worth having her take a nap if she doesn't fall asleep until 11 pm? Don't get me wrong, she will definitely still be going into her room for quiet time. But naps just seem more of a hassle than they are worth.

4 comments:

MelissaS said...

Ooh, at first I was so excited for you that she actually took a nap...and then I read she threw up. Lame.
We finally gave up naps here, too, for the same reason, i.e., bedtime was awful. We (try to) do the quiet time to give me a break, but...sometimes there is just too much grumpy without a nap. I think it's just deciding which battle you want to deal with.
Have you ever seen these? To protect Reid from Ava? http://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Cozy-Crib-White/dp/B00014PLAY
(Also, Livs has taken to sleeping on the floor lately, too....)

Kristin said...

Quiet time is the way to go, and if she ends up falling asleep, I'd wake her up after an hour so she goes to bed at a decent hour. Good luck!!

If that doesn't work, I'd scrap nap time and throw on a movie for her! And then put her down early, like at 7pm.

nbarnum said...

Oh how I love the nap pictures. I just showed Alex and we can't stop laughing. I'm especially a fan of the first one on top of the dresser!

Korey said...

Here's a little update on our nap free child. She's actually taken a few naps this past week. I guess skipping out on naps has caught up to her! I took Kristin's advice and woke her up about an hour and a half into it. This child does not like to wake up before she's ready though. And Melissa, I've seen those crib tents before. I wonder how sturdy they are an how well they are at keeping kids out of the crib. I'll have to look more into it. Oh another sidenote, we've tried putting her to bed earlier (at 7pm) but she woke up an hour and a half earlier the next day. We were not happy about that.