Binky broke

6.24.2009

My little girl is all grown up. It was time for the binky to say goodbye to Ava. So we decided when we moved to the new apartment (oh, have I failed to mention we're moving this Sat) that the binky wasn't coming with us. Ava wasn't too keen on that idea and all of the sudden was wanting to have her binky all day long. Which I can't remember the last time we let her have it outside of naps and bedtime. So I took a cue from one of my wonderful sister-in-laws and snipped off the tip of the pacifier. So while she wasn't looking I quietly took her binky from her room, cut of the top and even quieter placed it back in her room.

When it came time for naptime Ava scurried up to her room and went to retrieve her binky. Immediately after picking it up she knew something was terriblely wrong. She stuck it in her mouth, pulled it out, and then with a confused look on her face told me...


Ava: Binky broke.
Korey: Yep. It sure looks like it's broken.
Ava: Fix it.
Korey: I'm sorry honey. I can't fix it.
Ava: Get another one.
Korey: Honey, that's the only one we have. (Which I felt bad telling her a lie because we have an extra binky hidden in a secure location)
Ava: Buy a new one.
Korey: Sorry babe, I can't right now.

So naptime didn't go as planned. She didn't cry over her broken binky, even though she kept trying to suck on it with no success, but she didn't end up sleeping at all. Once naptime was "over", I asked her if she wanted to keep her binky or throw it away. She opted to throw it away. I was completely shocked she would even say that. She took the broken binky, walked over to the kitchen and threw it away. And that was the end of that. By bedtime the little girl was exhausted. And after her bath she just crawled into bed and fell asleep without even a word about her binky.

Sorry for the play by play, but I'm just so proud of my little girl. It is so fun watching Ava start to really understand what is going on around. I can't believe how smart and sassy little girl she is becoming. Hopefully Ava bug will take a nap this afternoon. I definitely don't want to see her also getting rid of her afternoon naps.

4 comments:

MelissaS said...

Oh, um, I don't remember you mentioning I would be watching Ava without her binky...yeah, deal's off. :) Kidding.
Congrats to the big girl! And to you guys, too, on your move. Can't wait to see your new place.

Coordination Queen said...

YAY! I'm glad it worked. Just be persistent with the naps and they will work themselves out. Aiden still takes them. Not everyday, but when he needs them. And he doesn't fight it. Good luck!

Diane said...

Hey-I was impressed that she only needed it at naptime and bedtime. Can't she stay little forever??? I hope that she gets back on track with the naps and doesn't resort to stealing Reid's binky!

Anonymous said...

I was having major problems with my son's binky addiction! My friend absolutely raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. She emailed me a link to a site that has a free publication ( www.bye-bye-binky.com -supported by advertisements) on dropping the binky, so I tried it. Very cool stuff, worked beautifully for my son. Four days later he did not want anything to do with his binky. Highly recommended! I am also interested in others experiences with this method.... Bella