Glowing Jack O'Lanterns

10.19.2009

We were sitting around the house this past weekend and Josh looks around and asks, "So, have you finished putting up all the Halloween decorations yet?" I had. I must admit, that since we moved into this bigger apartment that our decorations looked pretty pathetic. So I was on a mission to find a cute, but cheap Halloween decoration. I was so excited when I found this craft here and here, that we ran to the store that night to get the few supplies I didn't have.


So cute right?! They hardly cost anything to make. Sidenote, if you can't find orange tissue paper you can always use orange napkins. A few of the pumpkins I used napkins and I bet you can't even tell the difference.

I must admit, they look just okay when they aren't lit.


Once you light them they change from "cute" to "oh my goodness, I must make some right this instant!"


My favorite is this little guy.


Now you could put actual candles inside to light them up, but I would recommend getting some flameless tea lights like the one pictured below. I got mine from Costco and L-O-V-E them. They turn one with a flip of a switch, don't make the glass scorching hot, are mess free, and the best part is that they actually flicker like a real candle would.


So if you are looking for a cheap but awesome Halloween decoration, I totally recommend making these. They are so easy, that even those who are craft challenged would have a positive outcome.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Korey!!! I can't believe it. I just stumbled upon your blog after racking my brain about what I can do with the activity day girls in our ward tomorrow. I'm filling in for a little while and I wanted to do some cute Halloween craft that they could handle but would still be fun and cute and I haven't been able to come up with anything and it's this wednesday. And then I stumble upon your PERFECT craft!! Heaven sent, I tell you :) Thanks so much for posting your idea. They are adorable. Any tips on how to stick on the faces or ribbon or anything? Do you think 10-11 year old girls can handle it?

If you have any advice you can email me at sarah(at)robertsonhouse(dot)com

Seriously, I can't believe you just posted this. It's beyond perfect. Thank you!

Jared and Krysten said...

I L-O-V-E them. Can't wait to get my candles. Going to get the supplies today and get started. First the onesies and crunchy tag square and pumpkin muffins and now these pumpkins I am impressed! You are so crafty!

Kristin said...

That has to be the cutest craft!

Diane said...

Very, very, very cute!!! Love the whole group of them lit up and also like the ghost ones for something different. Nice job!!!

Diane said...

Also love the lights-am going to have to get some of those. Much better than candles.

Coordination Queen said...

darling!

MelissaS said...

What a great idea! They turned out awesome.

--Don't you love Our Best Bites?

nbarnum said...

Oh...my...goodness...I have to make these right now!!

Ashes said...

So cute Korey!