During dinner this past week Josh and I got on the topic of our own family's traditions. Mostly because Easter is just a month away. We were trying to figure out what kind of traditions we would like to start since this will be Ava's first Easter. I was shocked to find out that his family didn't have an Easter egg hunt! It's funny how I just assumed that every family does the same traditions as we do. Which isn't true. Then today I was reading one of my super cute sister-in-law's blog and she talked about all the fun traditions she did with her grandparents. So I pose this question to all of you...are there any fun traditions that you did growing up or have started with your own family? It doesn't have to concern Easter, even though that would be helpful for us! But it can be about Christmas, birthdays, pretty much anything.
One of my favorite traditions from my childhood happened on Christmas Eve. The day before Christmas my grandparents would come down to our house. We would pack up in the car and all go out to our favorite Chinese restaurant (the same restaurant my dad would go to when he was a boy on Christmas Eve). After stuffing ourselves with sweet and sour chicken, fried rice and egg drop soup...mmmm...we would drive around looking at Christmas lights. Once home my sister and I got to open one present. At first it was the gift my grandparents gave us, so they could see us open it. But eventually it evolved to pajamas. So that night we would open our new pajamas and get to wear them to bed.
Hmmm...I don't know if she quite liked this tradition :)
Post some of your favorite traditions. You never know, we just might adopt them! Don't be shy, post a comment!
6 comments:
We always had an Easter egg hunt, but we also had an Easter basket that was hidden somewhere in the house. (probably not feasible for her first few Easters) Our Easter baskets consisted of socks, underwear, some small toyish thing - coloring book, etc. and candy.
My favorite traditions go with Christmas. We always have homemade pizza on Christmas Eve and read the Christmas story. Then we get to open one present - pjs. We used to get 2, the second gift was a box of our favorite cereal. That was kind of fun.
A new tradition we have kind of started is on Valentine's. We stay at home with the kids and have a "fancy" candle lit dinner. This year it was chicken tetrazini, last year I made stuffed crust pizza. We drink out of fancy glasses (sparkling cider). I always plan on having chocolate fondue for dessert, but we are always stuffed. So I make it the next day. Those are all of them that I can think of... sorry that was long. :)
My dad always put money in the easter eggs... and then who ever found the most eggs got 20 bucks. I really really enjoyed easter. Oh... and we'd always get a huge choc. bunny from See's Candy.
My family always colored eggs and then left them out for the Easter Bunny to put in our baskets before he hid them. It was so much find trying to find the correct basket Easter Morning.
We also started a tradition with Angel Mom Mom gifts. Angel Mom Mom is my husband's mother who died shortly after we were married and never was able to meet any of her grandchildren. Both my children know who she is as well as have photos of her in their rooms. Angel Mom Mom gives them special gifts for their special days. The girls love it and it helps them learn more about the wonderful woman who was their Daddy's Mom.
Kas - What a cute V-day tradition! Josh and I never end up going out on V-day anyways because it is always way too crowded at the restaurants. I can just picture your two little kids drinking out of fancy glasses. So cute!
Kris - That's why your mom gave us chocolate bunnies when we went over for Easter dinner :) And by the way, that is totally your dad to put money in your eggs.
Scarlett - That is such a sweet way to remember your mother-in-law. She must of been a very special lady!
One special tradition I will always treasure is that on Sundays-the kids would do the cooking and the dishes afterwards!!! What thoughtful kids I had! Oh sorry-that was a dream of mine-never did make that one into a tradition-but hey-it's never to early to get Ava Bug helping in the kitchen!!!
Easter is such a fun holiday over here...I'll try and do a post on my blog to give you a better idea!
Post a Comment