You're probably wondering who the heck is that! And no, he isn't a pirate. His name is Dale Chihuly and he's just the most amazing glass sculpture. Who just happens to be from Washington state...yeah! You may remember my post last month concerning a few of his pieces. Last week they opened an 11 room exhibit at the De Young Museum. So of course, we had to take my mom and go check it out.
The exhibit was way beyond what I expected. We took over 150 pictures just at the exhibit. Don't fret, I'm not going to force you to look at all of the pictures. I paired them down to a bunch of my favs. But if you want to see them all, let me know :)
This is the first piece you see when you enter the Chihuly exhibit. Can you tell which images are a reflection and which are the real deal? This picture doesn't show it, but these pieces were taller than me. I love how he used lighting and reflection to really add some drama.
My mom wanted to make sure to get a picture of the very ornate vase. And I of course obliged. What's one more picture anyways!
Not only does he do glass sculptures, he does sketches too.
Here's Josh admiring the wall of giant glass flowers. Don't you just love how he uses such vibrant colors?
The above picture doesn't show it very well, but each piece was unique. Here is a close up of one of the flowers.
The next room was full of beautiful glass bowls.
What's that? You love this bowl too! I'm thinking it would make a perfect chip and dip bowl. I wonder how much it would cost?
I loved how he paired a modern sculpture with something from nature. The sculpture was more than twice my height. Go big or go home!

I can't believe how many different pieces are in this boat. Can you believe just how detailed each sculpture is? This would take ages to finish all of these pieces. Chihuly must not have any free time.


Now come the pieces that always seem to amaze me...the chandeliers.
I have the perfect place to put this. Now only if my room was bigger and the ceiling were about 20 feet taller.


Josh noticed how the overhead lighting cast a cool shadow on the wall (Just another reason why I love my husband). So of course, I had to take another picture!

Here is another wall full of Chihuly's sketches.
Here's a shot of the girls. You might be asking why the whole picture has a red tint...
...above us was a glass ceiling full of colorful glass sculptures. If you look behind us in the picture above, you can see how the overhead lighting cast beautiful colors all over the walls. You can tell by Ava's expression that she is in awe of its beauty!
This room reminds me of being under the ocean. The people on the side can give you an estimate about how large the pieces actually were.
I hope you enjoyed the walk through of the exhibit. I know Mom and Ava sure did! If I've convinced any of you to go to the exhibit, just let me know, I'll totally tag along with you!
Our little walker can't stay in the stroller forever. She of course wanted to get out to stretch her legs.
After going through the rest of the museum we decided to go the observation deck. Usually summer + San Francisco = FOG. But it must of been our lucky day, because it was a clear as the eye could see. If you look closely you can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. Stay tuned for future posts, because that's where we'll be going next!
Dale Chihuly at the De Young
6.25.2008
Posted by Korey at 1:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Your camera is awesome.... ours is sooo old. Those pictures would have turned out so crappy. The detail was amazing! I'm so jealous of the CA beaches.... but we're going to LA next month! Woo hoo!
I can tell you are loving your new camera! :) But I would have taken that many pictures too, those sculptures are amazing. What a cool talent to have. I would totally go to that exhibit... if I lived remotely close to you.
Thanks for the fun time. The museum was awsome and the beach was beautiful and Ava was just the best! Love you guys.
Ooh, I love your new camera already. What a great investment.
Sign me up for the De Young. Those pieces look awesome. (And your hair looks super cute pinned back like that).
That is a really cool exhibit! He is an amazing artist.
Crazy cool pics. Ava is a super cutie!
Wow, thanks for that! I would love to go to the exhibit, only I'm so large with child that walking around for hours in rooms of glass sculptures with a crazy toddler isn't all that practical for me this month (I know because I tried that at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma a few weeks ago). So, I'm glad that you got such great pics and now I feel like I got to experience it, too!
Post a Comment